Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Will whatever's in your cart help you get to her heart?

A couple of years ago, Wal-Mart had a "singles night" promotion, where if you were single and looking, you could attach a pink ribbon to your cart while you went shopping to indicate your status. It was immensely popular in foreign countries, but didn't quite fly in the U.S. I think Jim Rome addressed it on his radio show, indicating that having to go to Wal-Mart to meet your future spouse "was clearly a sign your life has not gone as planned."

I mention this because I was at the local Trader Joe's today when I saw a beautiful young woman waiting for her friend near the check-out line. I thought about going up and saying hello or something or other, but I began to worry about the items in my basket. Every now and then, one of the check-out girls asks me what I'm shopping for after they look at what I'm buying. Naturally, I think this a great opportunity to score some points.

Today, my basket contained a box of Clif Bars, a bunch of basil (for pesto, see previous post), a pack of Chicken Andouille Sausage, Frozen vegetable eggrolls and frozen chicken eggrolls. Not a terribly boring spread, but not an impressive one either (like the one I had a couple of weeks ago when I was shopping for a dinner party). Not thinking much of my basket, I walked by and attempted to flash a smile.

So what does what's in your grocery store cart say about you to a potential mate? Had I been shopping for a bunch of ingredients for pastries and desserts, I might've had a little more confidence and something to talk about. Had I had a cart full of frozen pizza, I might've just kept on walking since the contents of my cart would easily scream "douchebag."

Which reminds me, I just got my copy of Classic Stars Desserts, which you can buy in our webstore. Maybe I should start planning a dessert party sometime soon. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Passionate Eater said...

Hello Sage's Bro! I love your blog, and I think that your shopping cart contents say your a handsome, dashing, and talented bachelor! (I will add you to my blogroll ASAP!)